Join Me for Next Training

New Year Resolution for 2008: Swim faster, Run longer, maybe return to cycling.

Monday, May 07, 2007

Weekend DVD Review: Blood Diamond

The movie was shown in theaters last December, and the DVD is out in the stores now. To be honest, I wanted to watch this movie initially because of the poster above - it showed Jenniffer Connelly's character using a rangefinder camera. It looks like a Leica M6 or a Voigtlander Bessa R2A. I had no idea what the plot was about. In fact, I didn't even find out.


Then I was just walking around Funan on Saturday and I saw that the DVD was out, so I decided to read the back of the DVD for the synopsis. Then I found out that the movie was set in Sierra Leone during the civil war in 1999! Hey! I've been reading about the conflict in 'A Long Way Gone'! I decided to get the DVD and bring it to grandma's to watch it with the family.

It was awesome! Although they had different titles, Blood Diamond and A Long Way Gone had many parallels which proved that certain events really did happen during the Sierra Leone conflict in 1999, and that Blood Diamond is perhaps re-enacting many true scenes.

Recruitment and training of child soldiers, brutal and senseless killings, fingers chopped off, rap music, local village militias, use of AK 47s and RPGs, the RUF rebels, etc.

All I can say is: It's a must watch movie!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great movie. Raises awareness. Watched it with some friends in America and it really opened the eyes of some.