Join Me for Next Training

New Year Resolution for 2008: Swim faster, Run longer, maybe return to cycling.

Friday, April 21, 2006

Overseas Singaporeans Gather To Rally for Rest-of-the-World GRC

Overseas singaporeans gather for a picture before the friendly march

Timbuktu - Overseas Singaporeans gathered by the throngs in this city in a bid to encourage the Singapore government to include the "Rest-of-the-World" GRC in the latest electoral boundary map. This came almost immediately after news that Singapore will be having her General Elections come 6 May, 2006. Political observers noted that since Singapore gained independence from colonial rule in 1965, the tiny island nation has progressed by leaps and bounds in the international political, economic and even in the arts scene. Some experts claim that it is due to the ruling party's (People's Action Party) strong presence in the global arena.

Ms Peh Ann Peh, strong supporter of the ruling party and first-time voter (hopefully)

"I flew 10 hours from New York to come to Timbuktu so that I can vote. I figured I have more voice as an overseas Singaporean. After all, we are a globalised country and we should have a Rest-of-The-World GRC. It makes sense, right" said Peh Ann Pey, a Manhattan resident for the past 6 years.

Overseas Singaporeans have a chance to have a go at the General Elections but many feel that they don't know their homeland well enough to vote for the 'right' candidate. Many don't even know who their respective members of parliament are.

"That is why we're seeking the Singapore Government to redraw the boundary and let us, overseas Singaporeans, have our own constituency or GRC or whatever they want to call it. We want somebody to represent us! That is why I'm holding on to my red passport in hopes that I can vote, because my friends in Singapore don't have many chances anyway." said Iyama Kwitter, a Singaporean residing in Mexico.

"That's right. I want to have my own MP and make my own decisions here. Otherwise I change my citizenship." added Yang Pang, who just turned 21 in January.

Mr Yang Pang, Singaporean in Iran

The Elections Department in Singapore cannot be reached for comment but sources say that the protest fell on deaf ears as Timbuktu does not have a Singapore consulate.

No comments: