Join Me for Next Training

New Year Resolution for 2008: Swim faster, Run longer, maybe return to cycling.

Thursday, March 01, 2007

This Time Is For Real

Okay, it's for real this time.

I'm back into this little game to challenge myself - of course at a steady pace, as usual.
Initially I wanted to start another blog to document this comeback, but on second thought I decided to keep my return journey within cyclingturtle.

Why cyclingturtle? It's got a new meaning this time:

7 months after fracturing my left ulnar and radius, my left arm is still weak. Mobility has no doubt improved through physiotherapy and I've since returned to almost 90% mobility in doing normal daily tasks like washing dishes, cooking, and swimming. But I still cannot lift shopping bags or attempt to open new peanut butter jars. Strength-wise, I reckon I'm only at 50-60%. There's absolutely no way at this point to perform push-ups or chin-ups, and I cannot cycle. I can't rest my wrists on the handlebars, drop bars, or get into aero position because of the position of the metal inserts in my left arm.

I'm not sure what are the long-term effects of the metal inserts. The doctor says I should be okay (for normal day-to-day activities), but he didn't say if I ever race on a bicycle again. I'd just have to listen to my body. So it's gonna be slow recovery if we're talking about cycling.

For now, I'll be swimming (alot) and running. I'll be focusing on biathlons and aquathlons this season.

First up on the multisport calendar: Singapore Biathlon on 17 March 2007.

I initially wanted to sign up for the NUS Biathlon on 4 March 2007, but I missed the deadline.

No comments: