Join Me for Next Training

New Year Resolution for 2008: Swim faster, Run longer, maybe return to cycling.

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Book Review: Letters from Iwo Jima

I'm currently reading this book 'Letters from Iwo Jima' by Kumiko Kakehashi. The book is actually titled 'So Sad To Fall In Battle' - an account of the 2nd World War based on General Tadamichi Kuribayashi's Letters from Iwo Jima.

I guess the name-change was just to be in line with Clint Eastwood's movie with the same name. Perhaps a necessary sales-generating move to ride on the 'hollywood' wave. I mean, who really cares about the japanese' take on WWII, and especially about a japanese general who was the mastermind behind 25,000 'heroic' american deaths?

We've all seen movies depicting American victory and gungho might over evil Japan and Germany. Is it all about the Americans and their feelings?

The Japanese (and so-called 'enemies') were also human beings during the war!

Let's just say that I'm glad I picked up this book to read. So far, I'm getting drawn into General Kuribayashi's character. Absolutely brilliant strategist, yet so human.

By the way, I've already read James Bradley's "Flags of Our Fathers" and it's also a great book. Maybe I'll talk about it later.

Nope, I haven't watched either movies yet.

No comments: