Join Me for Next Training

New Year Resolution for 2008: Swim faster, Run longer, maybe return to cycling.

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Will my real MP please stand up?

Okay. The elections are over, but it didn't really matter to the Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC because it was not contested. I belong to the Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC. Specifically, I'm what the ruling party calls a "Thomsoner" because I stay in the Upper Thomson area.

Prior to the recent elections, my MP was Mr Leong Horn Kee. I heard he's no longer my member of parliament, which again, didn't really matter to me because I've never seen him in my 18 years living as a "Thomsoner". Sigh... he didn't even say bye to us. I'm sure we'll miss him dearly.

And then I heard there's a new member of parliament who has taken over the place of Mr Leong. I have no idea who he or she is. The new MP is a new face in PAP. My new MP just became an MP without proving if he or she is worthy of the job. I would have expected at least some form of introduction and/or a friendly 'hello' kind of newsletter to the "Thomsoners". I mean, I don't think the MPs were involved in the rallies, except for DPM Wong Kan Seng (who happens to be the 'leader' of the Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC). In this respect, I'm sure the new MPs had the time to at least make their rounds and say hi. Well, maybe they did but I'm pretty sure they did not make themselves known in my area.

Where is my MP? Is there a channel for disgruntled residents to complain against their MP if they feel their MP has not been up to standard? An MP's allowance (not salary) is very high, hence I should think that he or she owes us some form of formal introduction, at the very least.

Who is my MP? Will my real MP please stand up? I would like to make friends with you. After all, we're a friendly bunch you know? Don't worry, I don't bite.

So here's a hint: Let's get working without the need for dangling carrots when crunch time comes along.

No comments: