Join Me for Next Training

New Year Resolution for 2008: Swim faster, Run longer, maybe return to cycling.

Thursday, May 25, 2006

80/20

That's right folks.

80/20 is the figure I'll probably NOT take part in the triathlon on Saturday. My constant headache is pissing me off big time. Thought I could swim it out during lunchtime... easy swim of half hour at the Concourse pool. Heart rate (HR) was alright at only 60% effort. In my head, I knew I could handle the heart rate, distance and time, at least for the swim portion of the race. Heck, I was even imagining swimming in the clear waters off Bintan amidst flailing arms and bobbing heads while I coolly take each participant on with easy fish-like glides. Then my mind drifted to the bike course.... well, if I could maintain at 70% base HR, then it shouldn't be an issue as well. Then I could also walk the friggin' course back to the finishing line!

But I haven't factored race day conditions and the mid afternoon heat yet. That'll surely pump my HR at least another 5-7% for the same indoor intensity.

Disappointment and frustration is an understatement for the amount of time and 'smart' training put into this. 'Smart' because I've trained using heart rate as an indicator and building up my endurance base by maintaining at up to 75% of maximum HR for progressive longer periods of time. Damn I even did the hill training runs at the golf course behind my home.

I was so looking forward to this memorable race: Longest distance attempted so far, and it's gonna be personally achieved on my 31st birthday.

Now, I have to reduce my chances of being at the starting line-up. The tension headache is quite disturbing. I'm not sure if it is due to sinus, wisdom teeth or something worse. Whatever it is, I want to enjoy my race if I were to take part in it. It has always been my principle to enjoy my races and complete them with a smile. I know I can complete it in comfortable time and pace, but the headache is preventing me from enjoying it.

It's one fact of life that I have to accept, albeit a tough one to swallow.

I haven't decided if I want to do OSIM, or should I just go ahead with the Port Dickson one?

No comments: