Join Me for Next Training

New Year Resolution for 2008: Swim faster, Run longer, maybe return to cycling.

Friday, July 07, 2006

Up Your Sir's Ass

I know, I know I'm sounding crude here. Sorry. I apologise.

My entry is based on this media report: Singapore can achieve superior service standards in 2 years. The statement was said by this American service guru called Ron Kaufman, who is also the author of 'Up Your Service'.

First of all, what the heck is a 'service guru'? Does coming from America make a person a 'guru' of sorts? So he knows alot about service? Does he know about different cultural types of 'service'? How about cross-cultural service, for example how an Asian might treat a gwai-loh?

And what is that sweeping statement all about? Define 'superior service standards'. It's not like your regular 'superior shark fin soup', mind you!

I don't think it takes a guru to rate anyone's service standards. If it's bad, it's bad. If it's worth the commendation, then service will be rewarded. And so he claims that Singapore can achieve superior service standards in 2 years.

Someone please take note of this for the Joke of the Week.

Also, the report mentioned a fine example of service quality in Lim Ah Buay, who visits patients even after they are discharged! You know why she got mentioned? Because she keeps asking people if they have drank enough!

"Lim Ah Buay?"
"Lim liao" or "Ah Buay Lim"

Okay... so that was a classic FOS moment. I just had to let it out.

Another thing irks me. Some civil servants actually have to go to the Up Your Service College to be certified.

If we're going to be Japanese standard in service, then it's gonna take more than 2 years. Trust me, coz I'm also a service guru. Really.

No comments: