Join Me for Next Training

New Year Resolution for 2008: Swim faster, Run longer, maybe return to cycling.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Teaching is Rewarding.. for Life!

Let's put it this way: I've had a few stints as a relief teacher and the last stint spanned about 6 months between March and September 2002. Most of my stints were in junior college and many former students have since become good friends through the years.

It's been several years since, and I can affirm that teaching is indeed a rewarding career - but only if you will it to. My former charges are now entering the workforce and many have come forward to ask me to be their referee. I have no hesitation, simply because I've seen them grow from naughty boys to matured and responsible young adults. I'm very happy to hear of my charges getting into the poly or university and then graduating. Some have found jobs while others are matured enough to persevere through the economic downturn. I am proud of every one of them. Well done!

This is not my first time expressing my joy in hearing of my students' success stories. This will not be my second or third time either. That is why teaching is rewarding.

Teaching is about relating to your students and forming a unique bond with them. You are friends with them, yet they see you as the 'guru' in most of life's situations. Teaching is about nurturing and growing with your students through school and beyond. Teaching is about sharing notes of experiences and feelings.

The Ministry of Education just recruited some 3000 new teachers for the education sector. In these uncertain times, there are bound to be some who jump on the bandwagon just to look for job. Teaching requires passion and patience and the keen sense to relate. How many of the 3000 are fit to be teachers?

It's not for me to say; It's not for their students to find out. It's for these new teachers to agree with me that Teaching is indeed a rewarding career. I hope the 3000 would one day share the same feelings as I do.

No comments: