Join Me for Next Training

New Year Resolution for 2008: Swim faster, Run longer, maybe return to cycling.

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

It was like dragging a tonne of bricks!

Alright I'm worried. I wore my new pair of Mizuno Wave Creation shoes and went for a hilly run after work this evening.

It was only a 5.6km run, but it felt like I was dragging a tonne of bricks! I took a very mortal but un-runner-like time of 40 minutes to conquer Telok Blangah Hill.

Notes to myself:

1. The Mizunos are much heavier than my previous lightweight NBs and Adidas. Why did I get the Mizunos? Well, since I'd be training and running the marathon, I figured I needed to protect my knees from over-pounding. Moreover my experience with the lightweights on runs beyond 20km didn't go too well with my feet. My priority was therefore to get some comfort running, hence the heavier Mizunos. AND HEAVIER IT WAS! My calves were screaming murder.

2. OOooooooh....... Heavier brand new shoes on a brand new route and a totally new running experience. Yes, I haven't done any hill runs in 2 years. My calves and thighs wouldn't forgive me for the 'new experience and new shoes'.

So what should I do now? Any coach out there?

I think I'll go for a 10km flat run at East Coast Park tomorrow evening with the Mizunos. At least I'll train my calves to take some punishment. How?

No comments: